Wednesday, January 5, 2011

ORDER

What has most moved me these past weeks as the year slowly turns, like an orcas whale turning slowly in the deep sea? In the midst of dozens of people I see on a regular basis there is graciousness. I've taken that in, breathed it, grokked it, as Michael Valentine Smith might say. And the beauty of the eclipse, Venus in the morning, sometimes dancing with the waning moon...some layer of my psyche is sustained by moments of exquisite beauty, exquisite sound or the glance of a newborn.

But what has most moved me is the abiding order of the Universe, that--without fail--comes through. The eclipse was on time. The sun is showing up earlier each morning, enough that I can already count on it. I know the odds of seeing my bulbs pushing through are about 99.999, baring personal tragedy. I know I will see newborns frequently, because life longs for itself, as Kahlil Gibran reminds us. If I can break away from the lights of town in August I will see hundreds of shooting stars, because of earth's predictable intersection with the Perseid's.

So if I can't depend on my husband to remember something, or the grandsons to be reasonable, or I step in dog business, or I forget an appointment, I can still anticipate all the predictable schedules of nature. I can also depend on the aging process making it's inroads in my physical form, and I can count on no longer being on this beautiful planet in the future.

This is my balm these days, a soothing ointment to my sometimes irritated soul, another of those mind tricks that re-mind me: all is in order. When I sit to breathe and calm myself, a tremendous sense of meta-structure (and micro structure) begins to circulate, and then dissipates, as I rest in the Great Presence.

And my old friend-phrase "As above, so below" drops into my well of awareness to put my little agitations into perspective. Then, finally, "be still and know" arises. I choose not to "finish" the phrase. Knowing, Presence and Being arise, and I am at peace. May you also be finding your way to your Still point in this wondrous year of many changes and continual order.

No comments: